Sunday, May 13, 2018

INTERVIEW - BRYAN COYNE - BAD APPLE'S DIRECTOR

ElderfanfilmsTwitter | Facebook | 

"From a somewhat small town in Southern California called Simi Valley, place where it was filmed original"Poltergeist"; that is how Bryan Coyne told us where he is from, very proud of it and the fact an iconic movie was settled in there in that moment. Bryan, a promising and talent filmmaker, with a keen sensitive to convey emotions through big screen using the best he can do, to direct movies. We talked a few time ago with Bryan about his upcoming movie at that moment "INFERNAL" but now he told us few thing about his latest movie called "BAD APPLES". This interview talks about general issues of his career, thoughts and experiences making movies.

EFF: Hi Bryan, Thank you so much to accept my invitation and for let me interview you, let me start with a, where are you from?

BC: Hey! No problem, thank you so much for the request. I'm from a somewhat small town in Southern California called Simi Valley. Horror fans typically know of Simi because it's the town they shot the original Poltergeist. So, hey. I guess this stuff was always in my blood. 

EFF: Why you decided to be into film industry in the first place? When it was that moment you said films will be your thing?

BC: I watched James Whale's Frankenstein with my father when I was a kid. I wasn't allowed to watch "newer" horror flicks for awhile -- so, to quench my burgeoning thirst for the macabre, my father showed me all the classics and that one struck a chord with me. It was shortly after that experience that I saw Die Hard, again with my father -- and I was hooked. 

EFF: Your kick off in this industry as director was with a Tv movie documentary called “Harvard Park”, so. Why did you pass from make a documentary to shoot horror films?

BC: I was trying for awhile to make an independent horror film. And just through luck and circumstance I was able to get the job making Harvard Park for Sony Pictures Television first. I'm very proud of that film. But I always had a heart for scripted films. I was somewhat known as a writer in the independent horror scene out here in California. So, I think it was a shock for most of my friends when I did Harvard. But again, I'm very proud of that film. 
Harvard Pak | Imdb |

EFF: You have two films out there so far, right? "INFERNALand "BAD APPLES", being "BAD APPLES" he last one, but I will like to know some things about the movie which you made the debut: "INFERNAL". How came to you the conception of the film?

BC: Infernal I could get made. In 2013 -- found footage horror was in an interesting  place. People still wanted to finance them but fewer people wanted to see them. I came up for the concept for Infernal -- wrote the script and a lot of people around town really liked it. But as with anything you take out on the town -- people had their ideas. And I wanted to preserve the ending of the film. Which was something everyone wanted me to change. It made people uncomfortable. And there is another scene ... a very specific scene... If you've seen the film, you probably know the one I'm talking about -- but, let's just say it involves shaving someones head.  Well, a few folks wanted me to lose that to. I had a small history of raising finance for films, so I took some time and raised the money on my own. And by doing that I was able to shoot everything from the script I wanted to. Some of that I probably shouldn't have and some of that I'm proud that I did. 
Infernal | iTunes | Amazon |


EFF: What films inspired you to create and give form to "INFERNAL"?

BC: The Omen was a big one. And so was Kramer vs. Kramer. I love family dramas just as much as I love horror films. I actually think Infernal works more as a family drama then it does a horror film and believe me, I've read some reviews that believe this too. 


EFF: Many filmmakers express their life experiences into their films. Did you do that? Did you apply any of your life experiences on your films?

BC: A lot. I was in a bad relationship at the time and I kind of transposed all the pain and turmoil from that into the film. Also, as I type this to you -- I'm two months away from becoming a father. I've always wanted to be a father... But, I think like any semi-normal human being, I'm scared shitless of that. 

EFF: "INFERNAL" concentrates a lot of social and familiar problems and tries to mask those problems within a diabolical plot. but it's more than that.

BC: I like to think that it is! I don't think horror works without rooting it in something real. There has to be something we can all identify with if we wish to scare people. Sure, demons are scary -- but they're not as scary as betrayal or losing your job or anything that's very human.
Bryan Coyne

EFF: All the creation process for an indie film is chaotic, every stage. Let me ask you, how was the casting process? Did you handle it by yourself? How actors got involved into the film?

BC: Awful. Awful. Awful. I had to fire the lead actors the day before filming. Casting is always a nightmare process, doesn't matter what level you're at. When you're young and starting out, you do it yourself. When you've been doing it awhile like I have now, it's no easier. It's hard for the actors and it's hard for us on the other side of the table. you have to be able to fall in love with the actors. Or at least I do. Because yes, you're right -- filmmaking is pure chaos. So, you want to go in to war with comrades not enemies. And Infernal... thankfully some of those people have become close friends of mine and I also met my soon to be wife through the process! So, I can't complain too much. But yes, casting is always difficult. Now, with the films I'm working on -- it's mostly "offer only" because there's more money to be had and when there is more money you go out to bigger names. Because now you're using those actors to SELL your film. But... casting is a nightmare. Just. A. Nightmare. 

EFF:  Now, let’s talk about ""BAD APPLES", is this film linked in with "INFERNAL"?

BC: There's not really a true link from Infernal to Bad Apples. It's more of a spiritual connection -- dealing with similar themes and also similarities in the budget.
 Bad Apples | iTunes | Amazon |

EFF: Once you told me that you had in mind make a trilogy following the story of "INFERNAL", so I think you always had on the paper make this movie, but certainly, ,how the plot thread came into your head?

BC: It would be a trilogy very loosely connected again being more about "theme" and less about recurring characters. Infernal was a demon film, Utero is a monster movie and Bad Apples is a slasher movie. But they all deal with families --  and the fragility of children. I like to think that there are very common and real world issues addressed in all three movies. But mostly, the connectivity comes from the budget level... they're all a very similar budget. 

EFF: How long it took "INFERNAL" and "BAD APPLES"?

BC: Infernal, Utero and Bad Apples all have taken a long time from concept to completion. I write larger movies now and these scripts existed before my jump to the larger budgeted arena. I'm developing a few action films now - stepping away from horror for awhile. I love the genre but I've always dreamt of making larger budget action and sci-fi- films and I've found myself there now. The budgets on these projects are so low it's hard to finish them fast because you are relying heavily upon favors. Typically these films don't pay the bills.
  
EFF: What was the problems you had to overcome to keep going in "BAD APPLES"?

BC: Oh, everything is a problem. From the second the  idea hits to finally turning in the final film -- it's all problem after problem after problem. We had amazing actors in the film that made parts of it an absolute blast. I have issues with the final product. But, hey. It  what it is! You learn to live with it. 

EFF: The casting process for this movie was so traumatic like it was in "INFERNAL"? Tell us how did you handle it?

BC: Infernal was by far the hardest casting process I ever had. Until now. With the action pictures I'm doing now with this incredibly fun company called Hollywood Media Bridge. A lot of what you do is something called "Cast Contingent" -- so you basically have the green light to make your movie. But you have to cast NAME talent that will help foreign presales so that you can use said presales as the budget to your film. So you put a lot of work in for nothing while you're in pre-production. But I've been blessed that much of my material is well liked around Hollywood... So it's only a matter of time.
 
 
 
Scenes from "BAD APPLES"

EFF: How did you reach out the budget, did you have to pitching it out or you financed it?

BC: Bad Apples was financed by the distributor of Infernal. Said distributor will be putting Utero out finally (under a different title, but we will have to wait for the announcement to let that known!) but so now it's all under the same house. If enough people purchase the Blu-Ray releases or the DVD's of Infernal and Bad Apples (and Utero when it is announced) I'd love to release a box set with an extra disc with some behind the scenes material.

EFF: Why people should go and watch your movie?

BC: If you're a fan of slasher movies -- I think you'll enjoy the film. We did enough to throwback to Halloween (being that our film takes place on Halloween) but also enough to change it around... I wanted the film to be what it's like to experience Halloween as an adult. It's not as vibrant as it was when we were kids -- so it's not romanticized say like in the incredible film Trick R' Treat. 

EFF: Any funnies anecdotes from your films?

BC: hmmmm... A lot. For as horrible the process is. You have a blast. We had designed a penis for the demon in Infernal. My FX people (and two of my best friends) told me repeatedly. "You're not going to want this. You're not going to want this" But I was adamant about it THIS DEMON NEEDS A COCK! I would yell.  They gave me the demon cock. They were right. I was wrong.  So they ripped off the demon cock right in front of me. I found this hilarious. 

EFF:  Are you a horror fan? What horror movies you like the most?

BC: I am. I've slowed down a little in my old age. But yes. Again, I'm an enormous Wes Craven fan. Even his lesser known flicks like Deadly Friend, Summer Of Fear, Chiller -- etc. But I have a massive heart for the Universal Monster films; Frankenstein being my favorite but Mad Ghoul is also up there. Slasher movies in general I adore. INTRUDER! Scott Spiegel is an absolute genius and for my money, I still believe Intruder to be one of, if not the best 80's slasher film. Scott's also an incredible man and I'm proud to call him a friend 

Bryan Coyne


EFF: What directors has inspired you on your directing style?

BC: Scott! Scott Spiegel is a huge influence on me. I think Wes is too. Tarantino, Rodriquez -- Spielberg, Lucas. Ya' know, the usual suspects really. 

EFF:  What is your directing style, what kind of cameras movements you like o use more or angles?

BC: It all depends. When Utero comes out, you'll see my excessive use of the split diopter. You can see it a bit on Infernal -- it's a set of glass that you put in front of your lens that makes the background and the foreground in focus at the same time. Brian De Palma uses them often. As does Tarantino. 
I also love vibrant colors. I'm not much for dolly movies or steady-cams. I would rather just go handheld. I mean, it honestly all depends on what the material is. 

EFF:  What cameras, equipments did you use in your films and why?

BC: Harvard Park was the Sony Ex-3 -- because the studio provided them for free and we didn't have much of a budget. Infernal was the Red Epic with an Anamorphic zoom. Utero was the Red Scarlett with retrofitted still lenses (don't get me started on this...) and the new film was the Red One with an Epic censor. Again it all changes. Infernal, shooting it on the Epic and with an anamorphic zoom was kind of a strange choice. But I wanted to give this "found footage" flick some flare. Eh, I think it's a mixed bag of results. 

“BAD APPLES” It was shot on the RED-ONE. Whereas Infernal was shot on the RED-EPIC and Utero the RED-SCARLETT. It's also a 16.9 aspect ratio unlike the 2.35 aspect ratio used on Infernal.
  
EFF: What advice would you give to newbies filmmakers who are undecided about how to do a film?

BC: Study up. The best way to do it honestly is to listen to every single DVD commentary you can and not just the movies you love. Listen to commentaries on movies you hate too. Read every article that you can. But more importantly, do not get dissuaded. It will suck. It will burn your soul to ashes. But if it destroys you -- and you can't wait to make the next one? You know you're doing the right thing and you will inspire others. 

EFF: If a rookie filmmaker with no experience at all, comes to you and asks you for an advice about a cheapy camera or equipments;he or she can uses to make his low budget film, what would you recommend him or her?

Don't shoot a movie on your phone. Please. Please. Please. For godssake stop it. There are many people that will tell you "MAN! You can make a movie on anything! Just make a movie!" I disagree highly with this. Spend time developing your script until you can't develop it any more. And learn the ins and outs of producing. Know how to raise money or how to get your work seen are read in the studio system. Bust your ass doing it. If you want to make a professional film -- go the extra mile. And you'll be happy you did. 
 Bryan Coyne


**Bryan Coyne's Imdb | Facebook **

** Bad Apples's | Imdb | iTunes | Amazon |**



0 comments:

Post a Comment