Tuesday, August 24, 2021

INTERVIEW - ROBERT CUFFLEY - INDIE HORROR FILMMAKERS - BRIGHT HILL ROAD

 
A salute to everyone reading this interview. On January, 2021 was released BRIGHT HILL ROAD backed by Uncork'd Entertainment on different platforms, the film centers about Marcy (Siobhan Williams) an alcoholic woman who after suffered a traumatic experience at the work decide to collect herself at a old hotel on Bright Hill Road and there is where a psychological horror begins to boost up. "IT’S WORTH CHECKING INTO “BRIGHT HILL ROAD" wrote Rue-Morge.com

The above lines are the prelude to introduce today's interviewee: Robet Cuffley. From Calgary - Canada, Cuffey has directed a series of movies from various genres, but this interview focus on his last film: BRIGHT HILL ROAD as we said above line a psychological horror indie movie. He explained us how to create a praised-  reviews movie with a low budget on it without dying while trying, all ths in precise words. YOU, indie filmmaker, praying for info about experienced filmmakers that already passed over the road that you want to pass now, stay and read this amazing interview.

I know you  will like it, just have to scroll down and read it... come on!

EFF: Robert let me thank you for letting me chat with you. Where are you from and how you knew that filmmaking would be your life thing?

RC: I am from Canada and reside in Calgary, Alberta. Seeing Star Wars in the theatre is what made me want to be a filmmaker. I grew up shooting super-8 movies and it progressed from there, until in roughly 1988, when I went to film school.

EFF: Glancing over your filmography, "Bright Hill Road" is your first horror movie, right? Why did you decide to shoot a horror film?

RC: The opportunity was there to make a small film and the producer knew of my love of horror. He asked me whether I had any ideas and I went to Susie Moloney, a screenwriter friend and she had the concept of Bright Hill Road. The concept lent itself to a smaller, insular, psychological horror film, the type that has always interested me.
BRIGHT HILL ROAD (2020)
IMDb |  Microsoft | Amazon DVD |  Amazon Prime | iTunes |  Google Play | Bestbuy | 

EFF: How did you scope this film, I mean, knowing the budget, what things did you focus on more in order to enhance the movie quality?

RC: The budget was very small, the smallest I've ever worked with, so I knew there wouldn't be extensive coverage in the film and that suited me just fine. I like minimalism, especially in horror. From there it was deciding what our "big moments" were and then deciding how to split up our time.

EFF: What style did you try to impress on the film, maybe any references to other movies?

RC: Definitely Session 9, which I was very impressed with. Still am. What I told Susie for references were REPULSION, CARNIVAL OF SOULS and SESSION 9. I didn't try to impose any style on the film, except what came naturally. I have an aversion to too much coverage and especially movies that overuse closeups. So both of these elements factored into how it was shot.

EFF: What setbacks you stepped in during the shooting stage and how did you beat them out?

RC: The most difficult was shooting the actors out before they returned home (in this case, to Vancouver).

EFF: What was the hardest scene to shoot and why?

RC: I think it was hardest on our actor, Siobhan Williams. She plays an alcoholic, who, depending on what point of the film you're in, is either intoxicated or in varying stages of drying out. For her to navigate that (keeping in mind that the film is shot out of order) was very difficult. I tried to help, but ultimately it was her acting chops.
"Bright Road Hill"

EFF: What camera did you use in the film and why?

RC: I think it was a Red Monstro. It was available. It worked well, but I don't get obsessed about the tools. It's who is using the tools that's important.

EFF: Everything in a film is a matter of importance, but as indie films we are talking about, what things do you take as more important when filming a movie?

RC: In this case, it was performances that were by far the most important. The rest is just ultimately window dressing. That said, I do get hyper-focussed on score and production design, especially with horror.

EFF. What kind of director considers yourself, directing actors, your crew, etc.

RC: I hope I am all of those things. I spend a lot of time with actors, but also helping design shots, sequences, etc.
Robert Cuffley

EFF: Any anecdote from the shooting stage?

RC: It was a sweet setup. We shot in an old hotel. The crew and cast all stayed there, so we could just wake up and start filming. Saved so much time.

EFF: When the film was out and how can people watch it?

RC: Bright Hill Road came out in January of this year (2021) and is available on every known media platform known. At least within North America.

EFF How the audience has response so far?

RC: Because of the pandemic, I haven't travelled with this film as much as others, but the response we've had from our few "in theatre" screenings has been ultra positive.

EFF: What are your inspiration; directors or films?

RC: Stanley. Kubrick. That is all.

EFF: What is the hardest thing about being a horror director?

RC: Typically they don't have budgets as high as other genres, so you must continually get creative. Solve problems in camera whenever possible and don't overly rely on special effects.
Robert Cuffley

EFF: What advice would you give to those newbie filmmakers from your experience, i mean, during pre, production or post, any advice is gold.

RC: That the camera you use ultimately means nothing. If you project is strong enough, then shooting it on an iPhone will suffice. Honestly. Our next feature, "ROMI" is based on a short film that Susie wrote and that I directed. It won many awards, including best short of festival, etc. It was filmed on an iPhone.

EFF: How have you lived this pandemic? Personally, Professionally...

RC: We are very fortunate in that my wife and I both work at home. So it's been harder on our kids than us.

EFF:  What new projects are you working on now, anything you can anticipate us now? 

RC: We are scheduled to film "Romi" this fall with a release of early 2022. "Romi" is what we call AI horror. Or tech horror, because it's based loosely on the smart devices we have in our homes.



**ROBERT CUFFLEY'S | IMDb Twitter  **

BRIGHT HILL ROAD (2020)
IMDb |  Microsoft | Amazon DVD |  Amazon Prime | iTunes |  Google Play | Bestbuy | 


0 comments:

Post a Comment