Thursday, March 16, 2017

INTERVIEW - VINCE D'AMATO - THE VALLEY OF THE RATS' DIRECTOR

Elderfanfilms|Twitter | Facebook | 

Today I bring an interview I made to VINCE D'AMATO director of films like THE HARD CUT, REVERSED, GLASS and upcoming film THE VALLEY OF THE RATS, films  deeply influenced by Giallo films, with quirky and amazing plots and uniques shoots. I hope it likes you.
EFF: Hi Vince, first of all thanks for the time employed to answer these questions. When did born the passion for make films? That moment you felt that films would be your Life?

VD: I have been interested in telling stories since I was a little kid - creative writing was always my favorite thing to do in school. The interest in cinema came a little later, in high school, when I discovered the films of Stanley Kubrick, specifically "A Clockwork Orange", "The Shining", and "Full Metal Jacket". But during high school I also became interested in the films of Wes Craven and Brian DePalma.

EFF: What thing, book, movie or maybe something different pushed you into film industry?

VD: I don't think anything specific pushed me into the film industry, but I can say that the piece of work that changed my life towards the creative/artistic direction was without a doubt Stephen King's book "The Stand".

EFF: Your films are low budget, right? What kind of troubles you found in your last film "glass"?

VD: We didn't really come across any production troubles in "Glass", our previous film that I can remember. The shoot went pretty smoothly, that one was shot in Vancouver over 9 days.



EFF: When I looked for on your filmography and crafts, I could see you love giallos films and even you have made a trilogy about giallo style, right? Well, your upcoming film it's gonna be the last one or am I wrong?

VD: So far, we think that this third surrealist giallo, "Valley of the Rats", will be the last one in this series.

EFF: Tell us about what it is gonna be THE VALLEY OF THE RATS?

VD: The first half of "Valley of the Rats" takes place in a moving limousine while our protagonist, Jesse, tries to find clues to his ex-girlfriend's murder. Beyond that, in the second half of the film, we turn to a highly stylized dreamlike second act of violence, murder, and eroticism.

EFF: Why giallo and not slasher, which is the typical horror sub-genre loved in North America, I guess?

VD: I grew up with the Friday the 13th films and have a lot of love for the slasher sub-genre - but I connected more with the dreamy, experimental style of giallo films, and I think that the stories are a lot more complex and twisted than the North American slasher films. Slasher film are like the party films of the horror genre, and giallo is sexier and can sometimes more dreamy and sophisticated.

EFF: What giallo directors and films you like the most?

VD: Sergio Martino, Dario Argento, Luciano Ercoli, and Lamberto Bava are my favourite giallo film directors, but Lucio Fulci actually made one of my all-time favourite giallos -- "Don't Torture a Duckling". I also love the contemporary work of Peter Strickland and Hélène Cattet & Bruno Forzani.

EFF: Even you have a company: "Brivido giallo films" I imagine from Bava's series. What it's going to pitch this company? What can we expect?

VD: In the future we will be doing a horror anthology film, followed by a vampire film. Maybe 2017 to 2018. We'll see...

EFF: From all your films what has had the highest budget?

VD: Our first film, "Carmilla" (aka "Vampires vs Zombies") from 2004 had the highest budget. We shot this on film, there was no such thing as HD when we started making movies.

EFF: I assume you have learned a lot of things during you career, but could you tell us at least two things for new filmmakers around there?

VD: Finish your film, and don't be afraid to edit your own work. And don't be afraid of criticism; criticism, if listened to, is the only outside tool you have to make your work better in the future.

EFF: What scenarios exists for indie filmmakers like you?

VD: There is no scenario - the film industry is changing on a daily basis. Every year, the market is totally different than the previous year - it is impossible to predict.

EFF: Do you think festival really contribute for really indie films?

VD: These days, I'm not 100% sure -- I think there are a lot of film festivals that exist by and are born from an egocentric place in people. Of course, the physical exposition of any film can only help it - but the reason some festival have for existing might not go along with some artistic philosophies.

EFF: According you what is the biggest difference between Giallo and slasher genres?

VD: Well, let's just say that nobody has ever asked me who my favorite slasher movie director is... and we'll leave it at that.


VINCE D'AMATO'S Twitter | Facebook | Imdb Webpage

0 comments:

Post a Comment