Friday, January 6, 2017

INTERVIEW - STACY TITLE' S THE BYE BYE MAN DIRECTOR


Elderfanfilms|Twitter | Facebook | 

This year the words as many people will says are "Don't say it, don't think it" and really if you don't wanna be scared by a supernatural entity you just "Don't say it, don't think it". The above is because "The Bye Bye Man" is closest to arrives in theaters pretty soon, one of the most expected film from this early 2017,the trailer is great as you can watch it HERE where I posted a film overview. Well, "The Bye Bye Man" director gave me the opportunity to talk with her and she is Stacy Title - an oscar nominee-, on this twenty first century where many woman struggle to be heard and people could knows how talented they are and Stacy is not apart to that, a very talented woman and she proved it here on this amazing film which only watching the trailer right away it catch you out, I very recommend watch it and obviously I also recommend read this interview.

- It will be released on friday 13th, january

EFF: When did born the passion for to make films? How was that moment you felt that films would be your Life?

ST: I have loved movies always my parents were cinephiles. But working on my father's sets as a kid really cemented my interest. My dad was a commercial producer. I watched Ridley and Tony Scott and Michael Cimino as a kid. I rolled cable. I spent so much time on sets it got into my DNA.
                 
EFF: The "bye bye man" your upcoming film, is it based on actual events? 
  
ST: Yes, based on a chapter on a book called the Bridge to Body Island. Where there's Grad students came across the BBM in Wisconsin.


EFF: How the script fell into your hands? And why you decided to direct it?


ST: I was looking for something to do with my friend Trevor Macy. For years, he had control of this property and my husband Jonathan Penner and I proposed a direction for it and began work almost 5 years ago on the script.

EFF: What we are going to see, obviously with no spoilers, haha, the idea, concept?

ST: The Bye Bye Man is an entity who is not quite alive and not quite dead. When you learn his name he knows. He's telepathic. And he comes to you. He makes you hallucinate and see and do terrible things. The more you think of him the closer and more powerful he gets. He feeds on your pain.

EFF: What problems you faced in during the shooting process, locations or maybe another thing?

ST: We have a film with scope. We did it on a limited budget. But we have train stunts, car stunts, creature 3D effects. It's an ambitious story so it was a great challenge and I loved every minute!

EFF: Personally, it is one of the most expected movies for earlier next year, what was the hardest task to concrete during the pre-production?

ST: Prep went smoothly. The hardest thing to arrange was the train stunt. Seth Meier and Trevor Macy planned that for over a year. There was a tragic accident here in the US on another film crew that killed a camera crew member Sarah Jones. She died shooting a train sequence. We needed to honor her memory by being safe. That was so important.

EFF: Aas the evil, the bad or the entity I don't know haha is performed by Doug Jones, I want to ask you, do you have the feeling that If somebody else would have performed the “bye bye man” character,  maybe it would not have been the same?

ST: Doug Jones is so brilliant. He has more talent in one finger than most actors have on their full bodies. I am not sure anyone else could have touched him on this. He has so much goodness in him that he turns it inside out into full on evil. It's an amazing trick. He's just brilliant.
Doug Jones as "The Bye Bye Man"

EFF: From your last appearance as directing until now, it’s has been a long time, why did you take so many years for directing again?

ST: I'm a woman that's part of it. There's a sexism that's internal to everyone. And I don't know why but they prefer a man for the president. To be an astronaut and to be a director. It's not conscious but misogyny is powerful. And directing is the best job in the world so it's super competitive.

EFF: What do you expect from this films in your life, you career?

ST: I hope the movie gets to a wide audience and they are scared to death! I hope it leads to a next movie very quickly I have a lot more to say.

EFF: You told me your daughter is in the film, and your husband, whom by the way is the writer too, all the family is in the business ah.

ST: Yes a family affair! My husband is my writing partner. He's been on the tv show Survivor three times. My daughter is an actress. My cousin is married to Jason Alexander who's been in my three of my movies. His son Gabe Greenspan is an actor too! There are a lot of talented people in my family.
Jonathan Penner - Writer
Ava Penner - Actress

EFF: Do you have any nervous or anxiety by reception of the film, because of you told me like it’s an ambitious project?

ST: No anxiety. It's harder to get a job to direct than actually directing!! Also I prepare so much I'm very ready each day.

EFF: Could we see in your film any other films references?

ST: I'm a fan of Kubrick Cronenberg and De Palma. Bunuel.  Carpenter. I love them all.
 "The Bye Bye Man Scene"
 "The Bye Bye Man Scene"
"The Bye Bye Man Scene"

EFF: What director has influenced in your filmmaking style?

ST: So since 14/15 overlap I can say my father helped me beyond measure. He was a commercial producer and I watched Ridley & Tony Scott and Michael Cimino in his sets. It was an education.

EFF: If you would be able (budget and proposal) to make a horror remake what would it be and why?

ST: I'd love to remake "The Fly" from a female pov. Female power and sexuality.

EFF: A very tricky theme you touched it before, was the misogyny. Is it still alive in these days on the industry? I mean in the 21th century is it still strong enough?

ST: Misogyny is at the surface of all cultures. Even in the US. No one wanted a female president and they don't want female directors

EFF: What advice would you give for those want-to-be filmmakers, and are jumping around about their first feature film?

ST: Shoot shoot shoot this is a time when we can all be storytellers.

EFF: What horror subgenre you like the most and why?

ST: I love psych horror and Sci Fi. A combo of those like Rosemary's Baby is a perfect fusion.

EFF: You know what is fighting against people who doesn't want to let you run freely? What would you say to people who maybe are crashes in the same problem you lived?

ST: Moviemaking by committee can be toxic. Shoot on your phone and you have control.

EFF: If you weren't a filmmaker, what would you like to be?

ST: A florist or a farmer. I love plants and their power and beauty.

EFF: The last one. What kind of director you are, you want actors stick to the script or let them proposing ideas to the character?

ST: We work hard on scripts I like to get what is there but then to build on that I love improvisation. So rehearsal is a must. It blends the two approaches. Beause what you rehearse and improvise gets woven into the script!

EFF: what cinematography techniques did you use in your film, cameras, and lenses, everything you could tell me?

ST: We used Amira which is an amazing camera. Great vintage uncoated prime lenses.

*Very grateful with Stacy Title for allow me interview her

Stacy Title Twitter | Facebook | Imdb Instagram | WebPage

0 comments:

Post a Comment